Prototyping an #Adulting workshop on Taxes

Today I prototyped a workshop to actually see if my idea has potential to work.
My dad came in and acted as the facilitator and discussed what taxes are, the different forms of tax and tax returns. The participants asked questions, wrote notes in their booklets and everyone got involved with the topic.

I was very pleased with how this workshop went as I was worried it could be very boring and overwhelming and no one would like it. However the participants found it informative, easy to understand and said they learn't something new. People were asking questions, writing things down and were noticeably happy with the answers they received. Of course the snacks I brought went down well as well! This added a nostalgic touch and was a nice balance with the whole theme of the workshop and overall topic of preparing for adulthood.

At this stage i'm thinking there will be an option to suggest, topics and questions before hand in order to cater workshops like this one, to all the different kinda of tax payers

I also found it interesting that people wanted more information overall and wanted more detail which I initially thought would be too boring and overwhelming.







This section was missed out, which left some unanswered questions.  I need to make it clear the booklet is in order of what the facilitator talks about.

The notes sections went down very well and the participants said they were very handy.

I received very valuable feedback that will allow me to develop and improve this workshop a lot further. The main thing I need to change is the structure of information as there was an overload of information to start off with which was definitely informative, but became a bit too draining and people were zoning out a bit as there were a lot of percentages and numbers thrown at them as well as a lot of information. This was also clear to my dad as he could tell people were glazing over a bit and didn't seem as engaged. The feedback for this was to talk briefly about one section eg, what are taxes, then stop for questions and discussion and continue this for other sections. Basically just break it up a bit more. 

It was also suggested that there be something more interactive about this workshop and maybe change the set up a bit to make it more relaxed as it felt a bit like a lecture. There were also a lot of questions about taxes in regards to freelance work, so it might be necessary to have an entirely different workshop for freelancers, or add another section solely about freelance. 

A popular opinion was that their needed to be infogrpahics or some kind of visuals to make things clearer and more engaging.


My notes about feedback. I need to work on the structure to generally make these more useful.









Comments

Popular Posts